Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Being Diabetic Makes Me Different

You know it has occurred to me that I am constantly reminded that I am different than everyone around me because I am a Diabetic. It seems that sometimes we can spend our whole lives trying to fit in and be what the world defines as "normal". As I mature I am very comfortable in my own skin and I really love who I am and what I stand for. This being said, there is not an hour that goes by when I am not reminded that I am a Diabetic!
I am writing about this because when I was at a party on the college campus this weekend with my daughter, I needed to test my blood sugar. I asked one of the kids if I could sneak some privacy in their room to test myself. No one was in the room but the door was open. As I was pricking my finger and placing my drop of blood on the testing machine, 4 people walked in and looked slightly shocked at what I was doing. I then put the number's into my insulin pump, smiled big and told them that I have Diabetes. They politely smiled back and quickly left the room. Once again, it reminded me that as I go about my day trying to be "normal", I am still different. It's okay, though, and I have so much peace about this disease. Wearing the pump is not so bad and it sure has changed my life for the better! The most important thing for all of us is to take care of our health no matter the cost. Enjoy your day and be grateful for everything!

No comments: